Thursday, May 16, 2019

Genealogy Conference - Final Day

The first thing I learned Saturday was that there is a lot more information than I realized in the BLM land office records. The class reminded me that I haven't tried all possible surnames in the database.

We have attended a session on Ortssippenbucher at previous conferences. These are abstractions of genenalogical information from a village or a group of villages in Germany. I keep hoping that one will turn up for my villages, but no luck so far. If you can find a book for your village, they are organized by surname--sometimes for generations.

Image result for ortssippenbücher
One example

Other classes the final day included "Finding Scottish Ancestors Online," "FamilySearch Collections: Tips and Tricks" (which I've already discussed) and "German for Genealogists."

No comments:

Post a Comment