Saturday, April 6, 2019

Genealogy Gophers

Recently I read about the website called Genealogy Gophers, which searches only books. If you visit gengophers.com, you can submit surnames to see what is available. There seem to be results from county histories and family histories.

The search results are fast, but there is a downside. When you put both the given name and surname into the search boxes, you will get results for each. When I tried Jonathan Brooks, there were hints for Jonathan, Brooks, and Jonathan Brooks. There didn't seem to be a way to use quotes around the entire name. But, you can narrow searches by years and location.

The second downside: you can click on any result to open the book for more information, but after opening three books, I received a notice that my "free" attempts were done for the week. Then you must register and donate. I could continue to search, but I could not look beyond the brief search result.

No comments:

Post a Comment