Thursday, December 18, 2014

Message From Our President, Rick Wood

I have been remiss in not writing an email to everyone in regards to my wife Darlene and our current situation. As you know I am not usually short on words but I will try to be brief.

I had decided that this year our trip south for the winter would include a trip east first to Ontario. I wanted to spend a couple of weeks doing family research at the Library Archives in Ottawa, Ontario Archives in Toronto and explore the parts of Ontario where my ancestors lived.

En route via the US, on October 15, my wife had a very bad stroke and we ended up in Marquette, Michigan. We were stuck there until October 31 as they could not get us a hospital bed in Alberta! As bad as that was, Marquette General Hospital did a great job taking care of her. Darlene is now in the Fanning Centre in Calgary which is a rehab centre for people who have suffered a stroke. Darlene lost all use of her right arm, right leg, and her speech. Since then, she has been recovering at a very good pace.
 
Through physical therapies and speech therapy, we are very hopeful of a full recovery and all signs point that way. Who knows, I might just make it there for the last meeting.
 
I spend 11 hours a day 7 days a week with my wife. I have done no research but still try to keep on top of what is happening out there in the real world. Dick, Annie, and Maureen have been keeping me informed of the events of the club. Another great start to a new season. Great sessions and informative speakers. I wish I was there. 

One thing this has taught me is that how precious life is and how quickly it can change. I can not stress enough that you work on documenting your family history. Talk to your relatives, especially the older ones, as that valuable source may be gone in a flash.

I will close with thanking you all for your well wishes and prayers. I wish you all the best for this holiday season and nothing but success in your search of those elusive ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment