Sunday, November 11, 2012

Success Story

Jerry Linderman has been searching for information on his  3rd great grandmother, Josephine Woster, for many years and finally had a breakthrough this summer. It turned out that her name in Germany was Jacobina Wurster.

Jerry says, "I did a general search of the name Woster and found a naturalization record for a Jacob Woster. It was signed by the applicant in two different places using the name Wurster. When I looked up that name in the Wurtemberg emigration list I found my third great grandmother with that name and also her whole family that had applied to come to the US at the same time in 1846. Jacob turned out to be the half brother of Jacobina/Josephine, my third great grandmother."

Genealogy lesson #1: Be open to variations in names.
Genealogy lesson #2: Do not give up.

Congratulations, Jerry!

No comments:

Post a Comment